First Year Mentors
The First Year Mentors or FYMs are upper-class students who are here to help you during your transition. This year we have 17 FYMs to assist you. FYMs work through the summer planning fun and exciting activities to help get new students connected during Orientation. During the academic year the FYMs design and put on programs specifically for first year students to help make sure your first year at Pitt is as enjoyable and fulfilling as possible. Since the Office of First Year Experience serves all types new students, we are looking to hire a diverse group, specifically commuter and transfer students.
2013 FYM Applications are now available
Applications are due Friday, February 1, 2013 at Noon. Please print and deliver your completed applciation to 119 WPU. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
All applicants must have a 2.50 or higher cumulative GPA by the end of the Fall 2012
Semester and at the end of the Spring 2013 Semester in order to continue employment if
The application includes three separate forms:
FYM Information Sessions
Monday, January 14th at 5pm in Dining Room B (WPU)
Wednesday, January 16th at 8pm in Dining Room B (WPU)
Thursday, January 17th at 8pm in the FYE Office, 119 (WPU)
FIRST-YEAR MENTOR INFORMATION
First Year Mentors (FYMs) are enthusiastic students whose primary responsibilities will be to work with the Office of First Year Experience to engage first-year students in the Pitt community.
FYMs will also assist with the planning and implementation of New and Transfer Student Orientation, pre-matriculation programs, First-Year Success Series and other initiatives within the division of Student Affairs.
Conditions of Employment
• Have a minimum QPA of 2.5 or better
• Classes cannot conflict with Life On Campus sessions (Mon. & Thurs. 3-7 p.m.)
• Plan to enroll as an undergraduate student at Pitt for Fall 2013
• Be in good disciplinary standing with the university
• Must live in Pittsburgh during the entire summer (May-August)
• Work at least 10 hours/week during the summer & 5 hours/week during the semester
• Comply with the University Student Code of Conduct and maintain the highest ethical and professional conduct at all times.
• Possess a high energy level and strong commitment to the program
• Have a positive attitude and enthusiasm for Pitt
• Display an ability to empathize with students, parents and peers
• Demonstrate an ability to work with groups of diverse individuals
• Be flexible
• Be a dedicated team player
• Be reliable, responsible and accountable for you.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Participate in and facilitate all Life on Campus sessions from May to August
• Serve as a resource person for all first-year and transfer students
• Lead small discussion groups following the Life on Campus skits
• Serve as a resource person at orientation
• Lead small and large groups of new students in discussions and activities
• Attend all bi-weekly FYM meetings
• Assist with programs including the Career Fair, PMADD, Family Weekend and etc.
• Participate in all required summer work activities
• Assist with planning & implementation of Orientation Week;
• Other duties as assigned.
Your Current First Year Mentors
David De Leon
Hey everyone! My name’s David De Leon, and I’m from Emerson, New Jersey. Read more>
Hi, my name is Kyle Anthony from Chicago, IL, and I’m pleased to be one of your Head First Year Mentors.. Read more >
I’m a junior from Akron, Ohio majoring in Nonfiction-English Writing with a General Business Dual Degree and a Pre-Law concentration. Read more >
I'm from Pittsburgh, PA. I'm a social work and spanish major, and I will be a junior next year. Read more >
Well hi there! My name is Robert Beecher, but most people just call me Beecher. Read more >
My name is Kourtney and I am a junior Politics and Philosophy and Economics major. Read more >
My name is Lindsay Bock and I am a Junior Psychology major at Pitt. Read more>
My name is Jeff Boscaino and I am an incoming sophomore here at Pitt. I am originally from the suburbs of Philadelphia. Read more >
My name is Taylor Butler and I am a senior at the University of Pittsburgh Read more >
My name is Cindy Chen and I’m an international student from Beijing, China. Read more >
I am from Wilkes- Barre/ Scranton PA and I am a Communications and Film Studies Major. Read more >
I’m a senior from Pittsburgh, PA majoring in Psychology/Pre-med and minoring in Chemistry and Italian Studies (Ciao tutti!). Read more >
Hey everyone, I'm Mona Kazour and I was born and raised in the ‘Burgh, go Steelers! Read more >
Hola! My name is Taylor Montague, and I am from Yorktown Heights, NY. Read more >
Hi! I’m Michael Nakon, and I will be a senior Music and Communications double major. Read more >
Hi, my name is Casey Northcraft and I am a junior, and in the athletic training program. Read more >
My name is Amanda Skopkowski and I am from St. James, NY, which is on Long Island. Read more>