PantherConnect Orientation Retreats
August 21–23, 2015
We are excited to announce our new PantherConnect Orientation Retreats. These retreats are designed to provide an opportunity for new Pitt students to connect with campus, connect with one another and connect to their passion.
Benefits to participation
- Build meaningful relationships with fellow classmates and upper-class students
- Connect with Pitt and learn about campus life
- Get a jump start on orientation
- Move-in to the residence halls Friday afternoon
Registration: Registration for the retreats will go live in Mid-May. Check back for more details on how to register. Since retreats occur simultaneously, you can only attend one retreat.
Retreat Options & Themes:
Arts & Culture: Do you love art? Have a passion for knowledge? Get the scoop on Pittsburgh’s art and culture scene
- Enjoy private tours of local museums and art galleries.
- Attend local theater performances.
- Challenges yourself through self-exploration, creativity and expression.
- Learn how you can incorporate arts and culture into your Pitt experience.
- Explore your own culture and learn about the cultures of others.
Leadership: Get a jump start on advancing your knowledge and understanding of leadership by learning about your leadership style and practicing new skills.
- Practice personal and group leadership
- Participate in leadership activities and adventure courses
- Create a personalize leadership action plan
- Learn strategies for leadership inside the classroom
- Get involved with Pitt’s Leadership programs
Partners in Progress (PIP): Incoming PIP students, notified of eligibility by letter and e-mail, may attend this retreat weekend for first-year, underrepresented students on academic scholarship. There is no cost to participate in this retreat.
- Meet and get to know current PIP students
- Get to know campus by participating in fun activities
- Discover unique resources and opportunities that can help you be successful at Pitt
- Network with faculty
- Attend a Pittsburgh Pirates baseball game and explore the city
Service: Participate in hands-on service learning while exploring and learning about the Pittsburgh region and working to improve our community.
- Explore the city you now call home
- Build community with other Pitt students.
- Participate in community service
- Engage with local community organizations
- Learn about community service involvement.
Sports and Rec: The “City of Champions” provides the perfect backdrop for you and other new Panthers to take part in a range of sports and recreational activities.
- VIP tours campus fitness and recreation facilities
- Connect with other students who share your passion for sports, recreation and being active.
- Explore the Pittsburgh sports scene
- Participate in indoor and outdoor recreation activities.
Sustainability: Learn about Pittsburgh’s transformation from an industrial power house to an eclectic example of sustainable city living and connect with Pitt’s Student Office of Sustainability.
- Explore Pittsburgh’s LEED certified buildings, green roofs & urban farms
- Learn about campus sustainability resources
- Compete in the sustainability scavenger hunt
- Participate in a sustainable community service projected.
Retreat Cost: $125 * (Financial Assistance Available, there is no fee for the PIP retreat)
includes all lodging, meals, transportation & activities
Financial Assistance: The Office of First Year Experience provides grants to assist with the registration fee to help eligible students who are experiencing a financial hardship. In order to be considered for assistance, you must be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant for academic year 2014-15. Eligible students will have the opportunity to request assistance during the registration process.
Transfer Student Retreat – TBD
Being a new transfer student is challenging and it can often be difficult to meet and get to know other students. This overnight retreat provides a quick get-a-way from campus that will help you to meet other transfer students, get more familiar with programs and services at Pitt, and meet the FYE staff and your transfer mentors. More details will be coming soon. There will be a minimal registration fee.